To conduct agile or UX workshops, “speed boat”is one of the most popular innovation game. It helps us in understanding & identifying features or problems that hold us back but in a fun way. Philosophy of speed boat not only applies for our projects, products or teams. The same can also help us find out what hurdles are stopping us to achieve our aims & goals in personal lives or in making an organization grow. The idea of a speed boat is to have a boat which takes us to our dream island with the help of favorable winds. However this progress can be stopped either by anchors, pirates, rocks or other obstacles.
So how do we play the game?
- Draw a speed boat on a chart which represents a product, team or project and the objective of this speedboat is to reach its dream island.
- After drawing the speedboat, make the dream island where you want to see the team, product, project or may be the company for that matter.
- Once these two things are done, give the team 5 minutes and ask them to put what they would like to see on their dream island.
- Now ask them to write what is their favorable or opportune wind that would take the boat to the destination. Again give them 5 min for this.
- Then one needs to ask what is anchoring the progress of the boat towards the dream island.
Learnings from the game