The disruptive technology in education has fundamentally transformed the education sector by replacing expensive, complicated and inaccessible products or services with much less expensive, simpler and more convenient alternatives. Technology has resulted into a blended approach to education which refers to a student learning from a combination of brick and mortar and online delivery with control over time, place, path and pace.
The K-12 online learning is growing in popularity worldwide. According to Innosight institute, in 2009, 3 plus million K-12 students took an online course compared to 45000 students in 2000. It is expected that by 2019, 50% of high school courses will be delivered online.
In higher education, in 2009 roughly 30% students took an online course compared to just around 10% in 2003. It is expected that by the end of 2014, 50% of all post-secondary students will take atleast one class online.
EduTech sector has played an important role in bringing together the electronic libraries of videos, educational content, research work and much more even more data. It is becoming popular and booming markets across the globe. Over the past few years the web has been changing a lot which has in turn made the EduTech sector more flexible in relation to its users. This has helped in targeting young audiences with educational resources via online communities and social networks which were earlier done by optimizing the resources for visitors.
Majority of EduTech projects offer Learning Management Systems (LMS) for organizing educational courses but as the technology is advancing things are changing and so are the EduTech trends.
Apart from LMS some of the trends that will shape the education industry are as follows:
1) Massively open online courses (MOOCs)
3) Social Media as a teaching & learning tool
4) Learning Analytics
5) Game based learning
While a lot many radical developments are taking places in the education space, it can be further enhances with the following developments –
- Integrated systems that support the seamless assimilation of online content from different sources into the student experience, while allowing student achievement data to flow easily across the school in real time.
- High quality dynamic content aligned to national standards such that students can stay powerfully engaged through continuous adaptive learning technology that offers a unique personalized learning experience.
- Analytics that allow operators to provide more personalized learning for network of students
- Automation to simplify educators lives by eliminating low-value manual tasks like attendance and student assessment data entry
- Applications that enhance student motivation using features like social networks, games, personalized playlists, badges and micro rewards to engage and incentivize students in their own learning.